The famous animated documentary by Jonas Poher Rasmussen To flee (Denmark / France / Sweden / Norway) scored a superb triple victory in the 34th European Cinema Prize the Saturday. The True Story of the Life Course of an Afghan Refugee has been awarded the European Documentary Awards, the Special European University Film Prize and the European Animated Feature Film. Also nominated in the animation category were The monkey star, Even mice belong to heaven, Where is Anne Frank and Wolf walkers.
In accepting the animated feature film award, Rasmussen first recognized Where is Anne Frank director Ari Folman, stating: “I didn’t even know there was something called ‘animated documentary’ until I saw Waltz with Bashir. He continued, “In order for this film to be appreciated by the Academy and people who really know the arts and crafts, it means a lot. This is my first animated film. It’s been a pretty steep learning curve for me, but luckily I had the best teachers and partners I could ask for.
To flee was also announced as one of three nominees for the 2022 European Parliament and European Film Academy Audience Award. The EFAs were broadcast and broadcast live from Berlin. You can watch the full ceremony or select acceptance speeches on the EFA homepage (www.europeanfilmawards.eu).
The film also won an Indie Spirit Award nomination (for best documentary) this morning (December 14).
the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences (NATAS) and Television academy jointly announced plans to realign the Daytime and prime-time Emmy Awards. In the future, competitions will be organized only by genre of content, unlike the current method, which separates programs based on airtime. The announcement, which follows the Academies’ recent collaboration to expand the Children’s & Family Emmy Awards into a stand-alone franchise, represents a transition that allows competitions to reflect changing consumer viewing habits, reducing overlap of categories and clarify the eligibility conditions. The Academies initially separated in 1977.
The scripted dramas and comedies will participate in the national competition organized by the Television Academy, regardless of the airtime. However, programs aimed at ages 15 and under will be featured in the Children and Family competition. Daylight, prime time, and child and family judging periods will be distributed on non-conflicting schedules throughout the year to allow sufficient time for submissions and judging. The Television Academy and NATAS will also form a joint panel to determine eligibility between competitions and respective categories. Additional information for various categories will be shared in the Daytime Emmys call for nominations in January.
the Streamy Award took place on Saturday, December 11, crowning the creator of Instagram Ketnipz as winner of the Animation category. Haminations (YouTube), Jaiden Animations (YT), The Land of Boggs (TikTok) and TootyMcNooty (TikTok) were also nominated. Other notable winners include Zach king (YT) for visual and special effects, and the Official SquarePants SpongeBob SquarePants chain (YT) for the best brand as a creator. Find out about all the winners / nominees and watch the ceremony at www.streamys.org.
The inauguration International Red Sea Film Festival announced its winners on Monday, including immersive contest winners Samsara by Hsin-Chien Huang from Taiwan (Silver Yusr) and Danish / French production The end of the night by David Adler (Gold Yusr). The competition presented 16 feature films, 18 short films and 21 virtual reality experiences depicting new and exciting cinematic narratives from the Arab world, Africa and beyond.
Diamond Comic Distributors announced the upcoming release of its Free Cartoon Day 2022 (FCBD) ADVANTAGES Exclusive Collectibles (PX) available during the event on Saturday, May 7, 2022 at participating local comic shops:
- Star wars Boba Fett “Nowhere to Hide” Legends resin bust. Fett dresses all in black, and the result is arguably the most stylish take on classic Mandalorian armor to date. This ½ scale bust, approximately 10 inches, features detailed carving and paint application and comes with a numbered Certificate of Authenticity in a color box. Limited to 1000 pieces. (AUG219268, PPC $ 199).
- The Mandalorian Mini bust Moff Gideon. Wielding the legendary Dark Saber, this ⅙ scale mini bust stands approximately 6 inches tall and features detailed carving and painting applications to recreate actor Giancarlo Esposito. Limited to 3000 pieces, delivered in a color box with a hand numbered Certificate of Authenticity. (SEP218371, RRP $ 120)
- Funko Pop! Venom “Lethal Protector” vinyl figure. Based on the red foil cover variant for Venom: Deadly Protector # 1, Venom as it appears in the first limited series to explore Eddie Brock’s past before he became Venom. Featuring metallic detailing and a glow-in-the-dark paint job, this exclusive figure emulates the red aluminum cover and comes packaged in the Funko Window Box display case. (JUL218475, MSRP $ 15.99)
VlogBox announced his next “Come Together” Webinar Series for content owners and video creators looking for tips on distributing, monetizing, and promoting videos. While the previous event covered all content areas, the next webinar, scheduled for December 20, will help animation studios, children’s content distributors and resellers, children’s vloggers and talent agencies, as well as publishers and TV stations gain new and valuable insight into the latest strategies and pathways to success in these highly competitive markets. (Register here.)
The panel of experts, including Anna McMichael (Director of Strategic Partnerships at VlogBox), Victoria Bolotova (Head of International Media Sales at Digital Television Russia), Ian Phillips (Founder of Toy Trains 4u) and Dan Sarto (AWN), discuss :
- Most popular types of content for kids
- First steps: team building, platforms to work with, marketing strategies
- Effective ways to grab your audience’s attention and make them like your content
- Key factors of success
- Choose beneficial partnerships, rewards and special events to attend
- Challenges of creating, delivering, distributing, advertising and monetizing content
The 33rd edition Palm Springs II International Film Festival (PSIFF) has announced its lineup, with plans to screen 129 films from 70 countries, including 32 premieres (4 world, 7 North American, 2 international and 19 American) from January 6 to 17, 2022. The selection includes animated feature films The passage by Florence Miailhe (France / Czech Rep. / Germany), screened as part of the World Cinema Now program; To flee by Jonas Poher Rasmussen (Denmark / France / Sweden / Norway / US / Holland), in the Awards Buzz section; and the North American premiere of Michaela Pavlátová My Sunny Maad (Czech Rep. / France / Slovakia). Visit www.psfilmfest.org for more information.
SLR Productions‘original series Nova Space won the animation category for the second time in a row at the 54th Australian Writers Guild AWGIE Award for his episode “Seaweed Samba”, written by John Armstrong. Streamed live as an online ceremony on YouTube this year, the AWGIE Awards are the only writers’ awards judged solely by writers, based on the script written – the writer’s intention rather than the finished product. Nova Space“Pamela Barnacle Is Alive and Well,” written by Melanie Alexander, was also nominated in the category.
“SLR Productions is absolutely delighted that John Armstrong won this year’s AWGIE Awards in the animation category for Space Nova for his episode“ Seaweed Samba ”. Space Nova has now won in this category two years in a row and demonstrates the incredible strength and creativity of the exceptional editorial team led by Editor-in-Chief Thomas Duncan-Watt. said Suzanne Ryan, CEO and Executive Producer of SLR Productions.
Premiere on 9GO in Australia in 2020 followed by a broadcast on ABC ME, Nova Space was one of the top 50 programs on the Australian public broadcaster this year. The 26×24 inch animated series follows the Nova family as they embark on an action-packed quest for alien intelligence that will bring them face to face with epic life forms, physics-defying phenomena and out of it. planets of the world beyond their wildest dreams in the year 2162.
Registration and submissions:
- Fest Anca (June 29-July 3 | Žilina, Slovakia) is calling for entries for the Short Films and Video Clips Competition. Deadline: January 31. (Free until December 31)
- Anime Expo 2022 (July 1-4 | Los Angeles) announced registration periods: January 10-23 for Priority (2020 badges / postponed table passes) and 24 january at noon for public registration.
- Forum Animation CEE 2022 (May 10-12 | Liberec, Czech Republic) is launching a call for applications for its European animation project pitch in five categories (feature films, series and specials, short films, student shorts, XR). Deadline: January 16, 2022.
- International Film Festival for Children and Adolescents (Oct 2022 | Budapest, Hungary) is calling for applications for short films aimed at audiences 4-13 and 14-18. Early booking deadline: February 28.
- ITFS 2022 (May 3-8 | Stuttgart, Germany) extended the submission period for the AniFilm feature film competition. Deadline: January 17.